The Battle of Novi - Friendly Banter

This is the place where to offer your thoughts and find answers to issues concerning the Napoleonic Wars.
Mark Jones

The Battle of Novi - Friendly Banter

Post by Mark Jones » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:33 am

Gentlemen Officers of TWS:

I have long held the view that the most important aspect of our participation in our wargaming society is to have fun playing our games, meet some great fellow gamers, and make some wonderful, new friends. I very well know that my two companion founders of TWS share this same conviction. That is the very reason we started TWS in 2014, and why we remain faithfully committed to it to this day. We love y'all. We love playing games against or beside you, we love hosting tournaments for you, we love building our webpages, distributing medals and promotions fairly earned, teaching and training so that you can improve your game play, and meeting and building friendships with you. We truly enjoy what we do here.

Although I am not a teacher myself, I come from a long line of teachers and writers. I have always embraced learning and improving in everything that I do. To be sure, part of that is a function of the environment in which I was raised, but another part of it seems to be deeply embedded in my DNA.

I know that a lot of us do not have much time for our games. Many of us have even less time to write anything other than "Back to you" or "Here you go" when returning our game files to our opponents. For a few, such exchanges reflect a genuine lack of interest in getting to know their gaming opponents. Many gamers are introverted academians who love the military history, but have no real interest in the social opportunities that our games offer. For others, it is the difficulty arising from speaking a different language than their opponent, and the relative failure of online translators to clearly convey the message that they really want to send. And there are always those that simply do not feel that they are good writers.

There is a lot of joy that can be derived from the emails that we use in our exchange of game files, in addition to the enjoyment that we all experience while playing our games. In the posts that will follow, I am going to give you a sample of the friendly banter from an ongoing game that I am playing. My hope is that this topic may prove helpful to some of you who want to improve the social aspect of your game play, and genuinely establish the bonds of friendship with your opponents all over the world, as well as your gaming partners.

Enjoy and feel free to interact at any time. After all, improving our social interaction is the whole focus of this topic.

Mark Jones

Re: The Battle of Novi - Friendly Banter

Post by Mark Jones » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:02 am

The game that we are playing is JTS Marengo. The battle in which we are currently engaged occurred on August 15, 1799 (Scenario 081) at Novi Ligure in the Piedmont province of Italy. The battle culminated in a victory by the combined Russian and Austrian forces commanded by the great, Russian Suvarov over the French forces led by Joubert. This was to be Joubert's last engagement. A brief outline of the battle can be found here, for any who are interested in further reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Novi_(1799)

Our game is a multi-player engagement. Alexandr Zaytsev is in command of the Russian forces under the great Russian leader Suvarov. Bill Cann is in command of the Austrian forces under Melas. Al Kling and I are commanding the French forces under the ill fated Joubert. Alexandr and Bill are both players of the very highest caliber, and have my very deep respect. They are truly gentlemen officers of great talent, and even greater character.

(And yes, for those of you who know me, I actually am playing the French side for a change! Al is over here just beaming, while constantly presenting me with a Grande Armee enlistment form to sign. :mrgreen: )

Mark Jones

Post by Mark Jones » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:48 pm

I thought it all started cordially enough on Turn 3, after the Austrians had enjoyed three complete movements while literally all of our French forces were fixed:

Finally, we can move! We hope you fellows have used your first three turns to discreetly retreat, but we are not going to bet the Revolution on it. Just so you know, the citizens of Novi are all abuzz with the wonderful and kind treatment they are receiving under their new, French rule. I doubt that any attempt to force them back into the shackles of their previous sovereign will be taken well by the masses. They are happy now. Our hope is that you can peacefully accept the new world order without resorting to violence and unnecessary bloodshed.

Best Regards,
Mark & Al

Mark Jones

Post by Mark Jones » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:51 pm

And then came the beginning of the attitude....

So pleased to hear that you have successfully completed your toilette and personal grooming. We have reduced the number of our scouts since your scent precedes you on the wind. We have also heard some very disturbing reports of religious persecution, the imprisonment of the local municipal authorities and heavy taxation. So much for Liberty, Equality and Freedom. Perhaps the locals are less than happy with your invasion.

Regards,
Bill & Alexandr

Mark Jones

Post by Mark Jones » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:52 pm

Thereby obliging us to defend ourselves against an unwarranted aggression:

Invasion! Pas vrai, Monsieur. We have embarked on a mission of liberation and enlightenment. The Revolution represents the new world order. It is a shame that you cannot embrace the change and accept that the end of your empire as you know it is at hand. It is far better to embrace the future than to allow yourself to become extinct because of it.

Best Regards,
Mark & Al

Mark Jones

Post by Mark Jones » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:56 pm

It quickly became apparent that the warriors of the dying monarchical dynasties were not predisposed to adhere to sound reason and good sense:

Mark

Your prose is beautiful, as expected from a writer for Le Monitor. However, your false news is not worthy of such a noble soul. I suspect that our Empire will long outlast the artificial creation of your Corsican dictator. Our Empire certainly has legitimacy as well as the recognition and support of the other ruling Houses of Europe. You even sent the successive leaders of your bloody revolution to the Guillotine.

Take care,
Bill

Stay tuned. There is more to come. :mrgreen: