Vive la Marseillaise!

This is the place where to offer your thoughts and find answers to issues concerning the Napoleonic Wars.
William Reaves

Vive la Marseillaise!

Post by William Reaves » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:21 pm

Written in 1792 by Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle in Strasbourg after the declaration of war by France against Austria, and originally titled "Chant de guerre pour l'Armée du Rhin" ("War Song for the Rhine Army"), La Marseillaise is the most stirring anthem ever written. Throughout it's long history, it has been used as a song of liberation and freedom by revolutionary movements around the world. During the Russian revolutions of 1905 and 1917 it was adapted as "The Workers Marseillaise". In 1945, as the Free French Army entered Paris and the Nazis fled in terror, the windows of the city were thrown open and for the first time in 5 years the strains of La Marseillaise thundered from a thousand radios and floated freely above the City of Light.

As you face the most difficult challenges in your life, remember La Marseillaise!
When the whole world seems to be against you, remember La Marseillaise!
As we stand in solidarity against tyranny and oppression, remember La Marseillaise!

For an example, I have included a link to my favorite scene from my all-time favorite movie. I hope you enjoy it. (My apologies if YouTube throws in a commercial.)

https://youtu.be/KTsg9i6lvqU