2017 ACW Tournament Winners

Post your thoughts and advice for the Civil War games here.
Aloysius Kling Sr

2017 ACW Tournament Winners

Post by Aloysius Kling Sr » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:29 pm

Our 2017-18 American Civil War Tournament has ended in two rounds...

Mark Jones has won the AON Tournament!

Mark will also receive the "Osprey Book: Sherman's March to the Sea 1864" as the highest scoring Union Officer (200 points). Lutz Schmidt of the Union Army was a very close second to Mark with a score of 190 points!

Andy Taylor & Gary Krenek tied for first in the Confederate army and will also receive a copy of the bonus book "Whatever your resolve Essays on Stonewall Jackson" as the highest scoring Confederate Officers (190 points).

Please note: The winner will receive a different book because of the tie in the Confederate Army. the book for the winner is a little nicer selection...

We used a new scoring system for this tournament with the goal to give all participants of various skill levels a chance of winning the tournament. Mirror matched games & scoring system seemed like a great plan... We found the following issues: the scenarios selected and the scenario played should have been the same one for all participants and participants dropping out of the tournament early. We are working on a very different approach to future tournaments... If you have any questions or suggestions please email me...

Thanks to all who participated in the tournament and the Wargaming Society Founders hope you all had fun...

Battle On... And Battle On till the next tournament!

Mark Jones

Re: 2017-18 ACW Tournament Winners

Post by Mark Jones » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:33 pm

Thanks for putting on this tournament for all of us, Al. I really do appreciate all the work and fine things that you bring to TWS on a daily basis.

Thanks also to my opponents in the ACW Tournament. Stewart Crisp and Ed Lytwak are both gentlemen officers of the highest caliber. Together, we enjoyed four very fun and honorably played matches!

I am truly honored to have been named as the winner of the TWS 2017 ACW Tournament. A sincere thanks to all who actively participated. It is only by the steadfast commitment of all parties that a wargaming tournament can be successfully conducted. Thanks to all who stood their posts, and played their games in this tournament.

I do have to admit that I love books, medals, awards, and honors as much as the next fellow. They are all enjoyable, and serve to make an officer's record in TWS more colorful by their inclusion. However, as one of the three founders of TWS, I don't want to win these things for myself in one of our official tournaments. We put these events on for the benefit of our members, not the personal glorification of our founders. To that end, I am officially requesting that any books, medals, or awards associated with my winning of this tournament be awarded to my fellow Union officer, Lutz Schmidt, in my stead. With a score of 190 Tournament Points, he is certainly deserving of these honors.

It is not about me, or either of the other two founders of TWS. Our society is all about you, the members. Thanks to everyone for being a part of our wargaming community. We are very glad to have you here. We hope that you will make new friends in TWS, and have a lot of great fun playing the games that we all love. We wish for each and every one of you, the very best every single day.

Aloysius Kling Sr

Post by Aloysius Kling Sr » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:40 pm

Thanks Mark,
And Congratulations to Lutz on his victories..
More Tournaments to come...
Battle On...

Scott Reed

Post by Scott Reed » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:10 pm

Congrats to Al for running and coordinating and good job by all the participants.
A challenge to any format will always be games available, so maybe you have a tournament by Disc. You could offer a Gettysburg and a Chickamauga tournament, ideally a custom scenario that is known to be balanced.

Mark Jones

Post by Mark Jones » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:13 pm

Funny you should mention some of the things that you did, Scott. We have the plans for our next ACW Tournament well underway and will announce them soon. Both Cats Clawson and I are coming out of "tournament development retirement" to help Al with the design and development of our next ACW Tournament venture. I won't disclose the details here, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that this will be our best tournament yet. You fellows really won't want to miss this next one. Stay tuned. It won't be long now.

Patrick Hollevoet

Post by Patrick Hollevoet » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:14 am

Gentlemens,

It's always a pleasure to play a tournament and to meet new players.
I congratulate the winners of North and South.
Thanks to the members of the organization of the tournament for their work.

Respectfully,

Pat

Roy Purcell

Post by Roy Purcell » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Congratulations Gentlemen

Lutz Schmidt

Post by Lutz Schmidt » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:36 am

Well done, Mark - Congratulations! And thanks for passing the medal and the bonus book to me - I am truly honored by this generous gesture of a true gentleman.

Thanks to all of you for organizing this tournament and taking part. It was a pleasure to meet some of you on the battlefield. Looking forward to battling on and fighting it out on those bloody fields ....

The next round of beers is on me. Cheers, gentlemen!

Alvin Baker

Post by Alvin Baker » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:38 am

Thanks to all involved in running the tourney, lots of fun. Looking forward to the next one.

Andy Taylor

Post by Andy Taylor » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:31 am

Really enjoyed the tournament.Many thanks to the guys who organised the event.Already looking forward to the next tournament.
Once again many thanks
Andy Taylor