Might Makes Right

This is a forum for general topics and discussions that are not specifically related to a particular military age.
Stan Kasper

Might Makes Right

Post by Stan Kasper » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:04 pm

The game simulations dealt here within try to enact a sense of realism. One way in which this is done is by factoring in the strength of opposing units when calculating order. The best of units may run (and the worst will) when beset upon an opposing enemy of immense and greater force. This may sound straight forward but there is a subtlety here in firing and attacking which is up to you to figure out.

Mark Jones

Re: Might Makes Right

Post by Mark Jones » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:04 pm

There are two aspects to be mastered; the Mechanics of the Game Engine and the Art of War. All players attain some level of competency in the former, as they must to play the game. Most players can speak to the latter, citing the writings of Clausewitz, Napoleon, Ceasar, Hannibal, and Alexander which they have gleaned from their reading. Only a very few attain the understanding of the art that transcends the reading of the masters.

My personal method is to perform a Haka Taparahi before each game. I find it generally sufficient to instill a sense of deep foreboding in my opponents at the outset. They have even been known to blanch and faint dead away, allowing me to claim a Major Victory without actually having to engage. I learned the method from a Kiwi friend of mine. (Entirely the hard way, I assure you.)

Roy Purcell

Post by Roy Purcell » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:01 pm

And I have experienced it ( first hand on the receiving end) on several occasions

Scott Clawson

Post by Scott Clawson » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:50 pm

Holy Cow......

You don't mean that ???

Oh no! Not him, I thought that they had........

No please, say it ain't so.............

They're here
Attachments
ckpc.png
The "All Black" peacock
ckpc.png (1.53 MiB) Viewed 74 times
abpc.png
& the Lads...
abpc.png (2.34 MiB) Viewed 74 times

Aloysius Kling Sr

Post by Aloysius Kling Sr » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:02 am

Thanks Stan,
Interesting post but somehow it seems to ended up going to the birds...
Battle On...
Al

Mark Jones

Post by Mark Jones » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:38 pm

Actually Al, that would be "The Bird".

There is only one Peacock. :gallop:

Stan Kasper

Post by Stan Kasper » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:47 pm

Thank you all for the comments. At least you spoke.
I am rather intrigued by the peacock. And that led me to
the 'Iliad and Odyssey'. Mark may actually be Achilles.
Scott Menelaus. Myself, possibly Hector. Everyone else...

Oops. I am sorry the trip is fading out....
No more medication for me.

Happy holidays to all!

Stan

Scott Clawson

Post by Scott Clawson » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:07 pm

Stan,
Well I hate to admit it, but yes I am still getting royalties sent to me from my portrait being used on all the vases! Oh well, fame has its downfalls. In regards to the story of the "peacock", I will leave that up to Achilles, err Mark, ...
how did you know his nickname was "the heel"!!!

Mark Jones

Post by Mark Jones » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:40 pm

"The Peacock" is an extremely formidable bird. Don't be deceived by his colorful appearance. He is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Just about the time you draw near, he will transform from a beautiful, harmless avian and assume the demeanor of a badger in a lion's body. All of your troops will be decimated as your thoughts turn from "Oh, how pretty" to "OMG, what just happened!!" Beware "The Peacock", for none ever survive his fearful, wargaming wrath.

"Peacock" was the nickname that Scott gave our Kiwi friend several years ago. He is a phenomenal gamer who always role played an impeccably dressed officer of the Chasseurs a Cheval of the French Imperial Guard.

As for me, I was given the nickname of "Der Jager" by a very, good gaming friend who knew me so very well many, many years ago. Oh, the stories I could tell....