Which John Tiller Napoleonic Games are Most Popular?

This is the place where to offer your thoughts on and find answers to issues concerning the Napoleonic Wars.
Or just talk about the games.
Allan Hearne

Which John Tiller Napoleonic Games are Most Popular?

Post by Allan Hearne » 12 May 2020 19:27

I currently have Bonaparte's Peninsular War, Waterloo, and Leipzig. I don't like the terrain markers in Leipzig (or the flat open terrain) and much prefer the maps/terrain in BPW and Waterloo. I'm leaning toward getting Wellington's Peninsular Campaign or Austerlitz (looked like both use Waterloo style maps) but wondered which Nap games are the most popular--easiest to find an opponent here? Thanks for any input.

Mike Peccolo

Re: Which John Tiller Napoleonic Games are Most Popular?

Post by Mike Peccolo » 13 May 2020 12:47

I like Leipzig as it has a number of balanced scenario's. Looking thru and playing Wellington's Peninsular War, I feel many of the scenario are biased to the Allies, sometimes severely.
TWS Member Since 29 October 2014

Trevor Preston

Post by Trevor Preston » 19 May 2020 23:01

I think Marengo is also a popular choice. I would keep an eye on the forums and see what people post games for the most often.
TWS Member Since 1 January 2020
Bonaparte's Bane Battle Brigade Member

Allan Hearne

Post by Allan Hearne » 19 May 2020 23:11

Mike and Trevor: Thank you for the input, I appreciate it! Wonder if any JT games have a decent AI? Thus far, the ones I've tried seem pretty lame.

Trevor Preston

Post by Trevor Preston » 20 May 2020 01:53

Hi Allan,
The AI is kind of a complicated subject. There are scenarios where the AI is scripted that present more of a challenge, and there are those that are not where the AI isn't exactly intelligent. Generally, the AI doesn't perform well on larger maps, but does a pretty good job on some of the smaller maps. In many of the games, there will be an indicator in the scenario description letting you know if it was designed with the AI in mind (usually denoted as "solo" or "_AI"). You will have the most fun playing against human opponents, but it's nice to just play a game against the AI from time to time.
TWS Member Since 1 January 2020
Bonaparte's Bane Battle Brigade Member

Mark Jones

Post by Mark Jones » 20 May 2020 04:51

In my experience, the AI is nothing more than a poor victim. It can provide a distraction when you don't have a PBEM turn to work on, but it never provides any real challenge. The scenarios designed for AI play simply have many more units added to the AI side to compensate for the lack of ability of the AI itself. If you choose to play against the AI, it should always be the defender. It absolutely cannot conduct an effective attack.

As far as titles, I much prefer the titles with 10 minute turns as opposed to the 15 minute turn versions. Basically, these are the games designed by Bill Peters, i.e. Leipzig, Austerlitz, Wagram, Bautzen, 1814, Marengo, Eylau-Friedland, Republican Bayonets on the Rhine, Eckmuhl, and Jena-Auerstadt. Like Mike above, my personal favorite is Leipzig. I do like the big map (388 Turn) campaign in Waterloo, but it is poorly designed and horribly unbalanced in favor of the French.

As far as popularity goes, I would think Waterloo is probably first with Leipzig second. A lot of people seem to like Eckmuhl as well, although I personally don't like playing the Austrians. In truth, I think any title works so long as you like the period it represents.

Allan Hearne

Post by Allan Hearne » 20 May 2020 18:50

Mark: Thank you very much for an excellent answer!

Bill Cann

Post by Bill Cann » 20 May 2020 22:03

Allan
I agree with Mark about the AI. It is best as the defender, especially in small scenarios. I recently found solo Scenario 57 (The Second Siege of Zaragoza) in Wellington's Peninsular War to be quite challenging for the French. My favorite JTS Napoleonic game is Eylau-Friedland, although this may be partially due to my Russian bias and that it covers my favorite 1807 campaigns, one in Winter and the other in spring/summer.
TWS Member Since 27 October 2014
Member of the Bonaparte's Bane Battle Brigade

Vladimir Repnin

Post by Vladimir Repnin » 26 May 2020 14:48

I like so much the Republican Bayonets on the Rhine.
There are 4 campaigns (1792-94, 1796, 1799, 1800), lots of solid scenarios with big maps,
almost all European armies, pretty good graphic etc. Highly recommend. :ugeek:
TWS Member Since 29 October 2014
Bonaparte's Battle Brigade Member

Allan Hearne

Post by Allan Hearne » 27 May 2020 14:07

Thanks again for all the input!