Looking to Get into the ACW Games

Post your thoughts and advice for the Civil War games here.
Trevor Preston

Looking to Get into the ACW Games

Post by Trevor Preston » 09 Feb 2020 22:16

I am looking at getting into the Civil War Battles series, and I wanted to start out by playing something with a good single player option for the time being before branching out into PBEM. Two questions follow below:
1. What's a good one to start with if all of the campaigns sound pretty interesting?
2. I am intrigued by the large map in Overland, but would that scenario be playable against an AI that can keep up?
TWS Member Since 1 January 2020
Bonaparte's Bane Battle Brigade Member

Mark Jones

Re: Looking to Get into the ACW Games

Post by Mark Jones » 10 Feb 2020 02:32

Trevor:

In my experience, the AI can never keep up. I once thought it might be fun to play the Atlanta campaign. I loaded the first scenario playing as the Union. During the course of the first battle, I managed to eliminate every Confederate unit on the map. Every combat unit, every leader, every supply wagon, literally everything. The AI proved to be less than a challenge. I expected the campaign to be over at that point, but when I advanced the file, all of the Confederate units that I had eliminated appeared intact in the next scenario. The computer said that I must play on. I shut it off instead. Realizing that the campaign system did not carry over casualties made the whole experience nothing more than a series of preset scenarios where others decide what they think should have happened. In my mind, it was not a campaign at all. A campaign should be shaped by events. Casualties should carry over. That doesn't happen.

Unless you are a poor player, the AI will not pose much of a challenge in any of the titles, as it is the same AI. If you do wish to play against the AI, you should always play the side of the attacker. As horrid as the AI is in defense, it is infinitely worse in the attack. The best way to improve your game is to PBEM versus a very good player, and learn every lesson that is thrown at you. I do admit, it can be quite painful, but it is the only way to improve. You will almost certainly develop bad habits by playing against the AI. Habits that will get you killed when you transition to PBEM.

The only way the AI can be useful is in learning the mechanics of the game if you are totally new to wargaming and have never played any of the JTS titles. Now, if you just want to play to while away the time, and you prefer winning without exerting a lot of thought or effort, the AI is definitely the way to go. I am told that statistically more people play against the AI than PBEM. I am obviously not one of them, but there is nothing wrong with those who do either. It is just a matter of choice.

I am glad for your interest in the ACW era. It is currently my favorite era in which to play. We would welcome you to join one of the ACW armies when you are ready. I would personally recommend the Union. We actually bathe regularly and have uniforms, horses, bullets, and food. Those who join the Confederacy are usually compelled to attempt to steal what they need from us.

Trevor Preston

Post by Trevor Preston » 13 Feb 2020 01:25

Thanks Mark! I plan on playing against the AI to get the mechanics down, and then I will try and get more PBEMs going. I will also play against myself from time to time as I always find that to be pretty fun (2-player hotseat with FOW). I do agree with what you are saying regarding the AI and can see how that would create bad habits.

I asked Al to sign me up for the Union Army :). It's always a nice thing to have bullets, horses, and a regular shower!

Mark Jones

Post by Mark Jones » 13 Feb 2020 02:36

Well, welcome to the Union Army, Lieutenant. You made an excellent choice.

Your first drink is on me!

Trevor Preston

Post by Trevor Preston » 14 Feb 2020 01:00

At the moment, I have two of the games: Gettysburg and Campaign Shenandoah. I am trying to decide if I should get Overland or another title next. Which ones are some of the most widely played?

Mark Jones

Post by Mark Jones » 14 Feb 2020 03:29

Overland is popular, as is Chickamauga. Gettysburg is probably the most popular, Petersburg probably the least. I like Antietam too, but it really is mostly a matter of which theater and timeframe is interesting to you. I have all of the titles, but have really barely scratched the surface of most of them.

Mark Jones

Post by Mark Jones » 17 Feb 2020 11:32

Now that you own Overland, I would encourage you to learn the entrenching capabilities included in that title. That is really the only significant difference between it and the titles that preceded it, but it is a very notable difference that radically changes the effectiveness of the defense.

Trevor Preston

Post by Trevor Preston » 19 Feb 2020 01:06

Sounds good! I researched the battles a bit before purchasing, and that sounds like great advice given the nature of this particular series of battles. It's quite fascinating as we tend to hear about Gettysburg and other similar battles that were fought in the open.