Shenandoah 1862 Tournament

Post your thoughts and advice for the Civil War games here.
Lynn Newell

Re: Shenandoah 1862 Tournament

Post by Lynn Newell » 20 Oct 2020 00:10

Thanks
I refreshed the page. it's all straight now and have started round 2.
TWS Member Since 13 July 2020

Mark Jones

Post by Mark Jones » 20 Oct 2020 03:02

Yes, please always remember to hit F5 to refresh the webpages.

I have developed that into a strong habit over the years.

Speaking of strong habits...

Nah, we won't go there! :o :shock: :mrgreen:

Mark Jones

Post by Mark Jones » 30 Oct 2020 14:08

A question has arisen in one of the Round 2 matches regarding Tournament House Rule #4 which states:

"4. Standard tournament optional rules will be used as shown below. In addition, there is a House Rule whereby infantry is generally not allowed to initiate a melee when the unit is in column formation. Infantry is only allowed to initiate a melee when the unit is in column formation in towns and as required to cross creeks or bridges. Cavalry may initiate a melee from either line or column formation."

The key phrase here is "...as required to cross creeks or bridges". This means that if you are not allowed to cross the feature in any formation other than Column, then you will be allowed to melee across the feature in Column. The intention is to avoid any situation where you would be prevented from crossing a feature because you were forced to adopt Line formation to conduct a melee. Hopefully, the following graphics will clarify the intention of the House Rule.

Bridge - As it is impossible to cross a bridge in Line formation, you are allowed to melee across a bridge in Column formation.

Ford - As it is impossible to cross a ford in Line formation, you are allowed to melee across a ford in Column formation.

Crossing - As it is possible to cross a crossing in Line formation, you are not allowed to melee across a crossing in Column formation.

If you have any further questions regarding the manner in which this rule works, please post in this thread so that all tournament participants can view the discussion.

Mark Jones

Post by Mark Jones » 11 Nov 2020 04:04

We have a vacancy on the Confederate side beginning in Round 3.

If there are any other Confederate officers that would like to join the tournament, please let me know before the start of Round 3 and I will assign you to the vacant position.

Lynn Newell

Post by Lynn Newell » 24 Nov 2020 15:56

Is there a delay in the listing of the results of round 2 and start of round 3
TWS Member Since 13 July 2020

Mark Jones

Post by Mark Jones » 24 Nov 2020 23:29

The Round 2 results and Round 3 pairings were posted last night.

Remember to always hit F5 to refresh your webpage of you are not seeing what you expect to see.

Mark Jones

Post by Mark Jones » 04 May 2021 03:15

Gentleman Officers of the ACW Era:

Our Shenandoah 1862 Tournament has drawn to a close in a resounding victory for General Jackson's Confederate forces.

The Confederate Army outscored their Union opponents by 234 VPs versus 158 VPs. Hats off to the lads in grey!

Congratulations to Alesandro Lopez who was the highest scoring officer on either side of the conflict. His masterful performance on the battlefield earned him the Tournament Victory Medal.

Each officer in the Confederate Army was awarded the Army Victory Medal.

All officers participating in the tournament were awarded a Tournament Ribbon in accordance with the tournament rules.

Four officers proved to be favorites of Lady Luck.

Aldo Miccio was the winner of our drawing for a Free JTS Game.

Georgio Beacco, Lew Jones and Neil Thomas were the winners of our drawing for a TWS T-Shirt.

Thanks to everyone for their active participation in our ACW Tournament. We hope you had an enjoyable time having fun and making friends. We look forward to seeing you again in our next ACW Tournament that we will host this fall.

Congratulations once again to all of our winners!!!

Alejandro Lopez

Post by Alejandro Lopez » 04 May 2021 15:22

Thank you very much for the tournament. A pleasure to participate.

Kudos to my opponents, all have fought with courage despite the uphill struggle that several of the scenarios were (I am at your disposal for a rematch gentlemen).

I also would like to thank recently deceased Mr John Tiller (RIP), thanks to whom we can enjoy this games.

Till next battle
Alex
TWS Member Since 3 July 2020

John Kesson

Post by John Kesson » 04 Sep 2021 22:14

count me in
"NO SURRENDER"
TWS Member Since 4 December 2020

Don Vandergriff

Post by Don Vandergriff » 04 Sep 2021 22:20